Pietrasanta dates back to the mid 8th century, and was founded by the leading authority of Lucca, Guiscardo da Pietrasanta. After briefly coming under the rule of Pisa in 1267, Pietrasanta was eventually reclaimed by the authorities of Lucca, who commissioned the building of the Rocchetta. The Rocca Ghibellina, the Duomo, the convent of Sant’Agostino and the Petrorio Palace were also built in the same period as the Rocchetta. The municipality has come changed hands a number of times, passing under the rule of Genova in 1484, the King of France Charles VIII, the province of Lucca and finally that of Florence and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Pietrasanta has an interesting layout, based on a symmetrical chessboard-like design. Among the monuments that surround the Piazza del Duomo, one picks out the 14th century Duomo of San Martino, the oratory of San Giacinto or Battistero, the church of San Agostino, the Torre delle Ore and the column and fountain of Marzocco. The historic quarter is surrounded by walls erected in 1308, which stretch from the Rocchetta Arrighina to the Rocca di Sala.
Just outside Pietrasanta resides the most ancient church of the entire region, the Pieve di San Giovanni e Santa Felicita, as well as native house of poet Giosue Carducci, which has now been turned into a museum. Another beautiful church is Saint Steven’s Church in Villascchia.
The Marina di Pietrasanta and the Versiliana Park are both situated along the coast.
Photo: APT Versilia