Seravezza was founded in 1172, when people from Lucca and Genova, united against Pisa, built a fortified stronghold with a tower over 40 metres high. In 1460, the people of Lucca decided to reclaim the land, it being their only access to the sea, and towards the middle of the 15th century, they built a new fort positioned to protect the canal. The Matilda Tower has been perfectly conserved over the years, and still resides in prime position by the canal. The land changed hands many other times over the years and in the 18th century it became one of the most popular fishing ports in Tuscany, prompting the Duchess Maria Luisa of Bourbon to commission the building of the first harbour 1819.
The arrival of the Neapolitan era saw an increase in tourist activity in the area, and the city invested in the development of its architectural appearance with some impressive new constructions. Seravezza is renowned for it’s beautiful liberty and art-deco style buildings, and apart from the Matilda Tower, the entire city centre dates back to the late 19th and early 20th century. Examples of these magnificent works of art are the Magazzini Duilio 48, the façade of the Bagno Balena, the Argentine Villa, the Hotel Excelsior and the framework of the Supercinema. Amongst the various palaces, the ones that really stand out are the 17th century Bernardini Palace, the Belluomini Palace and the Paolini Palace, which today houses two museums.